About Me

My photo
Hi my name is Stacey and I am 30 yrs old. I was previously very active in running, spinning, circuit training, and playing kickball & dodgeball :) I am a bit of a health freak and have always had an interest in nutrition. Up until the beginning of 2011, I was a fairly normal, healthy person. I have been diagnosed with the following : *Mild Acetabular retroversion (left hip) *Superior Labral Tear (left hip) *Mixed FAI (left hip) *SI joint dysfunction *Piriformis syndrome *4 bulging discs in lumbar spine *3 bulging discs in cervical spine *IT Band Syndrome *small bilateral adductor tears *Medial meniscus tear (left knee) *Patellar tracking Disorder *EDS hypermobility type

Hip Chicks

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

6 weeks post op


6 weeks ago I had a femor-neck osteoplasty, acetabular rim trimming to correct pincer impingement, labral repair, and a synovectomy. The surgery lasted a little over 4 hours and I stayed the night in the hospital.  I wish I could write that the past 6 weeks have been easy...wouldn't that be awesome?!  The first 2 1/2 weeks I was sick with a sinus infection and atelectasis. Once I got over that hump I started to feel great! Couldn't believe how amazing I felt, in fact. 1st time in 1 1/2 yrs that I wasn't in that much pain! However, as I started adding in more and more PT stretches and exercises, my muscles and hip began to get irritated with me. This is when the set backs began. Any added strengthening exercise or even an extra lap around the park can be too much.  It seems like I overdo it so easily and it just frustrates me.  I tore the adductors in my bad hip back in Oct. and am certain I re-tore it at 3 weeks post-op.  My psoas has started to snap on the op hip side this past week and I already developed somewhat of a snapping hip syndrome in the "good" hip right after surgery. I'm trying to force myself to realize it is just my psoas and not a re-torn labrum...it's hard not to freak out about certain pain and symptoms.  I am about 2 1/2 weeks behind where I should be at this point (according to my surgeon's post-op PT protocol). It just makes me nervous that recovery has slowed down because now I'm not going to be able to return to work as soon as I thought and I don't want my employer to be upset with me.  I think everything I am dealing with is normal for the surgery I had, I just need to learn to be more patient LOL.  As far as pain goes it is manageable, I don't take any pain killers anymore. I am typically in significantly less pain than I was pre-op. I am very thankful for the break from extreme pain. I feel a bit rejuvenated which has helped me get through the hours I spend doing PT each day.  I'm happy that I chose to have the surgery and am hopeful that it will be a success!  

For anyone who is getting ready for this surgery I thought I would add a little info about my post op protocol.  My surgeon wanted me full weight bearing as tolerated, in the CPM machine for 6 hours/day for 2 1/2 weeks, did not require me to have a brace, and told me I would be on crutches for only 1-3 weeks.  Well, I am actually still using a walking aid.  I was on two crutches outside the house until 5 weeks post op and 1 crutch inside. Then moved down to 1 crutch outside and on Thursday, I progressed to a walking stick (aka "cane"). I actually like my loaner cane from PT....it's pretty easy to use and light-weight.  Occasionally, I have to use both crutches if the swelling and pain is too bad. I'm pretty certain that the reason why I am having a slower recovery is due to the amount of muscle dysfunction I had prior to surgery.  My surgeon did say that he anticipated it would take me a little longer to recover than the average patient....whatever that means.  Like I mentioned above, I am happy that I had the surgery and am in less pain now.  My first post-op appointment with my surgeon is next Thursday....hopefully he will say everything I am dealing with is normal!  And I'm hoping he will take x-rays of my good hip (righty) to determine if I have impingement in it.  I'm hoping the pain I have is just referred & compensatory pain. I don't think I can go through all of this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment