About Me

My photo
Hi my name is Stacey and I am 30 yrs old. I was previously very active in running, spinning, circuit training, and playing kickball & dodgeball :) I am a bit of a health freak and have always had an interest in nutrition. Up until the beginning of 2011, I was a fairly normal, healthy person. I have been diagnosed with the following : *Mild Acetabular retroversion (left hip) *Superior Labral Tear (left hip) *Mixed FAI (left hip) *SI joint dysfunction *Piriformis syndrome *4 bulging discs in lumbar spine *3 bulging discs in cervical spine *IT Band Syndrome *small bilateral adductor tears *Medial meniscus tear (left knee) *Patellar tracking Disorder *EDS hypermobility type

Hip Chicks

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Appointment #1 with Dr. B

I just got back from my appointment with Dr. B. It is about a 4 hour drive and I am exhausted! Everyone at his office was really nice and laid back. I didn't have to wait very long to be seen, which is pretty uncommon at most orthopedic offices. One of the nurses took me back to get x-rays of both hips. I of course was offered some really sweet baggy shorts to change into LOL. They were a little cooler than the normal paper shorts most ortho offices have that I like to refer to as "hammer pants". Afterwards I met with Another nurse to go over my medical records. I have a 3-ring binder with my records organized in it so it's easier to look through. Nurse Kay brought the binder in (I mailed it to them in December) and wanted to go over everything from the beginning....I have a pretty long story so it took awhile to go over everything that has happened over the past year. Nurse Kay gave Dr B a quick overview of what we went over before he stopped in to meet with my husband and I. He is such a nice guy. I felt really comfortable with him, which was really important to me since its a big possibility that i will be having surgery in the near future. He is taking a bit of a conservative approach with me for the time being. The plan is for me to continue with the piriformis injections and then come back to see him in 4 weeks. I have already had 1 injection and my 2nd one will be on Monday. Dr B wants to see how much I improve from these injections because right now it is hard to be certain that operating on my hip will fix everything. My situation is a bit complicated because of the wide range of symptoms. He also expressed some concern about how i live 4 hours away and that i need to make sure i have an OS in Cincinnati that I can count on. I am hoping Dr N will be that guy for me since he has been the OS that i have consistently seen since September. Guess I need to figure it out soon in case I need surgery.

I also met with one of the physical therapists to get evaluated. I really liked Erica...she is an awesome PT! She gave me some new exercises and stressed that I need to work hard at building strength in my glutes (which were really weak!) I'm hoping that the new PT that I am going to will be willing to communicate with Erica and keep me moving in the right direction!

In my mind I guess I saw the office visit going a bit differently. I assumed that we would talk more about hip arthroscopy and what I had been diagnosed with. Even without things going how I thought they would, I still had a nice visit and will be back to see him in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment