About Me

My photo
Hi my name is Stacey and I am 30 yrs old. I was previously very active in running, spinning, circuit training, and playing kickball & dodgeball :) I am a bit of a health freak and have always had an interest in nutrition. Up until the beginning of 2011, I was a fairly normal, healthy person. I have been diagnosed with the following : *Mild Acetabular retroversion (left hip) *Superior Labral Tear (left hip) *Mixed FAI (left hip) *SI joint dysfunction *Piriformis syndrome *4 bulging discs in lumbar spine *3 bulging discs in cervical spine *IT Band Syndrome *small bilateral adductor tears *Medial meniscus tear (left knee) *Patellar tracking Disorder *EDS hypermobility type

Hip Chicks

Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Knee Follow-up

Yesterday morning I met with my OS's PA to go over the results of my left knee MRI.  I have great news....I don't have to have knee surgery right away!!! This means that I will be able to move forward with my left hip FAI/labral repair surgery!  There is some concern around my knee instability and how it will affect my hip rehab.  I am looking into getting a new stabilizing knee brace that will be more specific to what I have going on so that I can ensure my hip surgery is a success and not too impacted by my knee issues. The medial meniscus tear is really small and only causes a little bit of pain (inside of knee soreness/tenderness) so I am not too worried about it.  The problem is that I have a patellar tracking problem that creates instability in my joint.  When I walk it feels like my kneecap moves all around like nothing is holding it down.  It gives out on me often, clicks & pops, and I occasionally have severe stabbing pain over the kneecap.  My plan with PT is to build strength in my quads/hamstrings so there won't be so much of a muscle imbalance.

My right knee has started to have similar symptoms as my left knee from compensation.  The Dr. has recommended that I wear a stabilizing knee brace on it as well. So, I will be wearing knee braces on both knees LOL Oh man, I'm going to get asked a lot of questions out in public :(

No comments:

Post a Comment