Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Physiatrist follow up
I Had acupuncture this morning, then a doctor appointment(physiatrist). The doctor is happy that I have made some subtle improvements this past month. When i first started aquatic therapy, i was only able to do 10 reps of each exercise. I am now able to do 25 reps and feel less fatigued afterwards. He reminded me that recovery is not a marathon and it's going to take some time before I'm going to be strong enough to walk unaided without pain. He also reminded me that last month when he saw me i was in pretty bad shape. I walked like an elderly person barely able to step forward on my op hip side and had such diminished ROM in my op hip due to all the muscles that had tightened up. I now walk with a more even, longer stride (depending on how much walking I've done that day) but still have a big limp. Glad that I got a thumbs up from the doc, but still frustrated by how much I try and how little my situation has changed. He suspects that if I continue to improve slowly it may take another couple of months on crutches before I am able to walk without them. Kinda worried about work....hopefully they will be cool with me going on long-term disability. I will definitely be upset but this whole hip ordeal has helped me understand what is really important in life. I used to be a workaholic, working 12+ hour days, traveling often, and working on the weekends as needed. I let my work consume me and i know i won't be able to return to my job and perform the same way i did....at least not right away. Guess I will have to work through those concerns with my boss when the time comes. If i only had a desk job this wouldn't be so complicated!
The Most important thing for me right now is to know my boundaries (meaning i will not do anything that could increase my pain or worsen my situation) and keep up with my therapy. Gotta keep myself focused on my weekly goals so that I can reach my bigger goals like walking again unaided and being strong enough to return to work. I know I'll get there eventually it's just a very tough process physically and emotionally.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment